Tsunoda told to ‘be prepared just in case’ ahead of Red Bull call-up

Yuki Tsunoda says Red Bull team principal Christian Horner told him to be prepared in case of a promotion before his seat swap with Liam Lawson was confirmed,
Red Bull opted to replace Lawson after just two races of the 2025 season; the New Zealander failing to get out of Q1 in either event and not troubling the points. Tsunoda got the nod to make the step up last week, and said Horner had told him of the possibility prior to finalizing the decision.
“I can’t say specific details, to be honest,” Tsunoda said. “The first call I got was from Christian Horner after China, saying maybe be prepared, things might change a little bit. That was around Monday or Tuesday.
“I was in the UK for preparation for Suzuka – that was already planned. I did a simulator session with Red Bull Racing, at that point it was just in case. Within two or three days in the UK, he confirmed it in person. So that was kind of the timeline. I can’t say when specifically but that was the timeline.”
Tsunoda said Horner wanted him to keep the possibility he would be promoted to himself, but he has since received messages from former Red Bull drivers after the news was made official.
“He wanted me to be very confidential, so literally I didn’t call anyone … I really didn’t say anything, not even to my parents,” he said. “Actually, I told them maybe the day before the news came out.
“I got a message from Pierre [Gasly], that he wanted to call me about the experience he had in Red Bull, about the things he should have done in Red Bull, and he wanted to share a couple of ideas he thought could work for the coming races in Red Bull. That was very nice of him, and very useful tips.
“I also got support from Checo [Perez] as well. All Red Bull family drivers gave me supportive messages. Those two have been very supportive to me, and I really appreciate it. They’re drivers I respect a lot, so I’m very happy.”
On Thursday Tsunoda revealed he had yet to speak to Helmut Marko about his move, later finding he had missed a call from the Red Bull advisor. Horner, meanwhile, has given the Japanese driver clear instructions as to what is expected of him.
“Basically, be as close to Max as possible, which anyway gives good results for the team, also it allows the team to support other strategies in the race,” Tsunoda said. “They’ve clearly said the main priority is Max, which I completely understand, because he’s a four-time world champion and so far already in the last few races even in difficult situations he performed well.
“Also, to help the development as well with my feedback. They were very happy with my feedback in Abu Dhabi, so just continue that. But the main priority is to be close to Max – which won’t be easy, for sure.”
Given his first race for Red Bull is his home grand prix at Suzuka, Tsunoda said it’s a perfect scenario for him to get the chance to try and fight nearer the front during the last year of the Honda partnership.
“Really looking forward to it – it can’t be crazier than this situation,” he said. “First race in Red Bull Racing and on top of it, a home grand prix. I think it’s the best situation ever. I’m just excited. Simulator went well. I spent a few days in Tokyo, which was really busy, but at the same time I was able to spend it with friends as well. So, really good so far.”